Tuesday, July 5, 2011

BAGELS!!

Yummy Yummy! These are super easy and it only takes about an hour from start to finish! Mine usually look pretty ugly, but they taste good. Abe's look really amazing and taste better! Here's what you do:

Bagels
Ingredients:
4 cups flour (I've used from all white to all wheat in this but prefer to do 1/2 wheat, 1/2 white)
1-2 Tbs. sugar or honey
1 1/2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. yeast (I've used both bread machine and active dry)
1 Tbs. oil
1 1/4-1 1/2 cups warm water

Directions:
1. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Then add liquids.
2. Knead 10 minutes. (It takes a couple of minutes just to get it in a ball, so DO NOT ADD MORE WATER! Keep kneading either by hand or in a mixer. I know this works. I've done it here and in Texas. It just gets more and more pliable as you work it.
3. Cut into 6 balls and let rest 10-20 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 425
5. Shape balls into bagels. (Here I often just poke a hole in the middle and then stretch it out. Abe rolls his into a snake and then attaches the 2 ends and they are way prettier. Do whatever suits your fancy. There are all sorts of bagel rolling videos on the internet you could watch.)
6. Rest 20 minutes
7. Boil bagels in water for 1 minute on each side then place directly on a greased baking sheet. (Suggestions for boiling include using a honey-water or adding a little baking soda to the water which helps with browning. There is a significant color difference between using baking soda or not.)
8. Bake for 10 minutes on each side (20 total).

The bagels are the best texture if you wait for them to cool before slicing into them. I thought that making bagels was only for professionals before I tried these, but these are easy and fun. I've added dried  blueberries and nutmeg before or just some cinnamon and extra sweetener. I'm going to try some jalapeno ones sometime soon. If anyone has an even better recipe for bagels, let me know. This is the only recipe I've tried. Just FYI, the 100% whole wheat ones turned out a lot different but still really good. They did not get as big. I would suggest trying it your first time with all white flour and then add more wheat according to your taste buds the next time.

For original recipe and instructions, go to Hub Pages Bagel Blog

1 comment: