Monday, February 21, 2011

100% Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I love my wheat. I looked for a while for a recipe that actually has good texture for pizza. This is the one I found and I won't go back to other white crusts. You can do it thick or thin. I got it from a recipe book my friend, LeArta Moulton, wrote called The Amazing Wheat Book. It's also the book that I use when I make gluten meat, homemade cereal, honey candy, and seasoning mixes (all to be featured in future posts). Anyway, here's the pizza dough recipe.

Stir together and let sit 10 minutes:
4 cups warm water
4 tablespoons active dry yeast
4 tablespoons honey

Stir into water mixture and knead 10 minutes:
1/2 cup oil
4 tablespoons salt
10 cups whole wheat flour

Allow to sit for 30 minutes. Roll out 1/8 inch thick onto pans (this is enough dough for 4 pizzas). Put on any sauce, toppings, and cheese you want. Bake for 15 minutes at 400 or 8 minutes on 500.

Well, there it is. I usually make the whole batch, keep one out for that night and then divide the rest up into 3 balls and put them in quart-sized freezer bags. When I want to make pizza the next time, I just throw the bag in the microwave on auto defrost until I can roll it out. I works great!! Here's some things I like best on my pizza. I like ranch or seasoned tomato sauce and then just put on all the good stuff: mushrooms, tomato, spinach (for best results, put it in a bowl and toss it with some olive oil and seasonings before putting on the pizza), artichoke hearts, sausage, zucchini (I learned that from papa john's), etc. Then I use cheddar cheese, mozzarella, monterey, or whatever I've got at the time. I've found I like them all. 

Extra tip: I use this same dough to make my scones for navajo tacos. I just defrost the frozen dough and roll it out and then use my pizza slicer to cut it in good sized pieces and fry them up in oil. Serve with taco meat, black beans, tomato, lettuce, olives, cheese, sour cream, salsa, whatever you want/like!


2 comments:

  1. We loved the pizza dough! I have 2 more loaves in the freezer. I am going to use one of them to try navajo tacos next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm so glad you agree! Did you use the white or red wheat? It's good both ways, I was just curious. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete