Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cashew Chicken

I love Chinese food but the stuff you get in Laramie isn't good. I got this recipe from Rasa Malaysia: Easy Asian Recipes. It's an awesome website. I changed it a little bit because of the ingredients I had, so if you want the original recipe, follow the link. My recipe is quadrupled to feed company or just a bigger family.

Cashew Chicken
Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts
16 oz celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped (bigger like in the restaurant dishes)
2 cups cashews

Marinades: (I'll explain later)
4 teaspoons baking soda
4 teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved with 2 teaspoons water

Sauce:
2 tablespoons oyster sauce (found right by soy sauce in the grocery store)
3 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2-3/4 cup water
12 dashes white pepper
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
salt to taste

Directions:
1. Marinate cubed chicken in 4 teaspoons of baking soda for 15 minutes to tenderize the meat. The girl on the website says this makes a huge difference. While it's marinating, I chop the vegetables and make the sauce. Now, rinse the baking soda off with water and pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
2. Dissolve the 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 2 teaspoons of water. Pour over the chicken and stir to coat.
3. Heat a large skillet and add some oil to the pan. Brown the chicken in the skillet and then set aside in a bowl.
4. Add a little more oil to the pan and saute the veggies until tender-crisp.
5. Add the nuts, chicken, and sauce into the pan. Stir to combine and heat through.
6. Serve and eat! I served with steamed brown rice and canned pineapple. I figured they always have canned food at the Chinese Buffets, so why not, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment